Tuesday 5 October 2010

Mount Kimbie


Before the summer we was told to become a lot more culturally aware and understand true music & art. I looked at various artists such as Massive attack, Left field,Underworld, Orbital, Aphex Twin and so on (let me add i did know of these before by the way). Now all of these are excellent acts with a huge back catalog of amazing tunes which i kind of loose myself in them when i listen to them, especially the ambient selections of Aphex Twin. BUT, why am i listening to these bands that are a good 10 - 20 years old, surely this is not progressing my creative mind into a new wave of art direction. I can understand various people from around this era would be massively influenced by the music and it would probably show within their work, but i feel that it is time to move on and support good acts pushing excellent electronic music. Please don't look at this and think i am saying the above bands are rubbish because some of the songs from the above bands sit nicely in my favorite tunes of all time.

So, this leads me onto a duo who are pushing the boundaries with their sound and doing it superbly.

Mount Kimbie is a London duo that makes pretty, mid tempo, ambient beats with a little vocal thrown in for good measure. You could put them under the genre dubstep but i think that would be a insult to them both as they seem to want to move out of that 'underground/commercial' tripe that is coming out at the moment. I am all over this sound and its such a new and refreshing sound to here these days, i think the sound of the 2 step beats and small dose of indie rock stimulate the creative mind, and i just love what they are both doing for electronic music. Below are a few of my favorite tracks. Enjoy.

Foals - Spanish Sahara (Mount Kimbie Remix) by fabric

Mount Kimbie - Would Know (from Crooks & Lovers) by Hotflush

Mount Kimbie - Sketch on Glass [HF023] by Hotflush

Mount Kimbie - Before I Move Off by subraw

No comments:

Post a Comment